City of Toronto
Home Energy Loan Program (HELP)
What is the Home Energy Loan Program?
Home Energy Loan Program (HELP) is a new financing tool offered by the City of Toronto to help you improve your home's energy efficiency and save money.
Upgrading your insulation and replacing an old furnace are examples of cost-effective improvements (also called retrofits) that can cut your energy bills, improve home comfort and reduce harmful emissions to the environment. For many people, however, the high upfront cost of these improvements can be a barrier to taking action.
Low interest financing for your home energy improvements
Low interest loans are available to homeowners who are interested in improving the energy and water efficiency of their home. Through HELP, the City will provide the funding required to complete the improvements and the homeowner will repay the City over time via installments on their property tax bill.
The potential savings you may realize after completing your home energy retrofit will help offset the cost of your monthly repayments to the City. And by making your home more energy efficient, you will be better protected against rising energy costs.
Plus, you can take advantage up to $2,250 in incentives from local utility companies to ensure you get the best deal possible on your home energy project.
Eligible home energy upgrades
- High efficiency furnace/boiler
- High efficiency central air conditioner
- High efficiency water heater
- Heat recovery/energy recovery systems
- Drain water heat recovery system
- Window/door replacement
- Air sealing (i.e. weather stripping, caulking)
- Attic insulation
- Exterior wall insulation
- Basement insulation
- Toilet replacement
- Roof top solar panels
- Solar domestic hot water system
Who is eligible?
As a homeowner, you may qualify for a low interest loan through HELP if:
- You own a detached, semi-detached, row or mobile home in Toronto
- All of the property owners on title consent to the Program
- Your property tax and utility payments to the City are in good standing
- You obtain written consent from your mortgage lender, if applicable.
Current eligible areas
The HELP program is now available to all City of Toronto owners of detached, semi-detached, and row houses.
Why make your home more energy efficient with HELP
- HELP allows you to avoid the large upfront cost of home energy improvements and pay for them over time.
- HELP financing is attached to the property, not to the property owner. If you sell the property before the loan is repaid, the new owner will assume the balance of the loan and continue to repay it through the property tax bill.
- You may pay off your HELP loan at any time, without penalty.
- You benefit from low interest rates and longer repayment terms, compared to conventional financing.
- Incentives of up to $2,250 are available from Enbridge Gas and Toronto Hydro.
|Term||Fixed Interest Rates|
|Funding Amount||5 Years||10 Years||15 Years|
An administrative charge of two per cent (2%), reflective of the City of Toronto's cost of administering the Program, will be applied and calculated on the final funding amount.